This short tour of Turkmenistan takes in the main highlights of a fascinating and unusual country. For those with more time, an extension to travel through the Kara Kum Desert and camp by the Darvaza flaming gas crater can easily be arranged.
Arrival - Ashgabat City Tour
Arrive in Ashgabat. This afternoon take a tour of the gleaming city of Ashgabat. Prior to independence Ashgabat was a fairly nondescript place but in recent years it has been transformed into ‘The White City’ – there is even a presidential decree which states that all major new buildings have to be faced with white marble tiles of a specific size!
Ashgabat - Dashoguz - Konye Urgench
This morning take a flight to Dashoguz. In the afternoon explore Konye Urgench with your driver and guide. This one time capital of Khorezm flourished in the 12th century before being pillaged first by the Mongols and then by Tamerlane.
Dashoguz - Nisa - Arkadash - Ashgabat
This morning fly from Dashoguz back to Ashgabat. In the afternoon visit the ancient Parthian city of Nisa before visiting the Arkadash Stud farm to view the sturdy Turkmen horses. Return to Ashgabat.
Ashgabat - Anew - Abiverd - Mary (Merv)
Driving east from Ashgabat, visit the ancient settlement of Anew, where some of the earliest evidence of the cultivation of grain has been found. Continuing eastwards, explore the remains of Abiverd, once one of the most important Sassanid cities of Northern Khorasm, before arriving in Mary.
Gonur Depe Excursion
Today travel into the Kara Kum Desert to visit Gonur Depe. This important Bronze Age palace complex is still in the process of being excavated and it is thought that it may have been the capital of the recently discovered Margiana civilisation. Return to Mary.
Merv Excursion - Ashgabat
This morning visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Merv which at its height it was a major industrial centre and one of the most important places on the entire Silk Road. Later in the afternoon catch a flight back to Ashgabat
This morning you will be picked up from your hotel and transferred to the airport for your departure flight
To book now, or for more information about this or other tours, call us on 0208 728 2478 or email us at email@example.com.
Prices and Availability
Price per person £1740 based on two sharing
- Internal flights
- Private English speaking guide
- Separate driver with vehicle
- All entrance fees
- Medium locally graded accommodation
- 7 nights accomodation Bed and Breakfast basis
- International Flights
- Turkmen Visa (obtained before travel)
- Travel Insurance
- Personal expenses (drinks, tips etc)
- Tour Ashgabat, Turkmenistan’s slightly bizarre capital
- Explore the UNESCO Heritage listed site of Konye Urgench
- View the hardy Akhaltekke Turkmen horses at Arkadash
- Walk through the ruins of Sassanid Abiverd
- Explore Gonur Depe, located deep in the Karakum desert
Tours That Might Also Interest You
• Khiva • Ashgabat • Gonur Depe • Bukhara • Samarkand • Turkestan • Taraz • Cholpan Ata • Karakol • Son Kul Lake
Explore along the Silk Road of Central Asia with a fascinating trip including staying amongst local nomads
• Ashgabat • Nohur • Yangykala Canyon • Darvaza • Gonur Depe • Merv
Discover vast, reclusive and fascinating Turkmenistan with a comprehensive journey
• Tashkent • Khiva • Konye Urgench • Ashgabat • Merv • Bukhara • Samarkand
Discover the fascinating heart of the Silk Road in Central Asia
• Ashgabat • Konye Urgench • Nisa • Gonur Depe • Merv
Excellent introductory tour of fascinating Turkmenistan