This 10 day comprehensive tour visits the most important sites along the Uzbek section of the Great Silk Road. From the remote Khanate of Khiva, to the winding medieval streets of Buhkara and the graceful symmetry of Samarkand’s Registan Square, discover the fascinating history of the legendary trade route.
Tashkent City Tour
Arrive in Tashkent and in the afternoon explore the largest city in Central Asia, including Amir Timur Square, the Navoi Theatre and the earthquake memorial before visiting Chorsu Bazaar, a huge open-air market, and discovering the mausoleums and madrassahs of Old Tashkent.
Tashkent - Khiva - Desert Citadels
Take an early morning flight to Khiva and travel across the arid plains of Khorezm to the stunning city fortresses of Toprak Kala and Ayaz Kala. After time exploring the ruins, return to Khiva to stay overnight.
Khiva City Tour
Today spend a day exploring the remotest of Uzbekistan’s ancient Khanates. The almost perfectly preserved citadel of Ichan Kala is a masterpiece of Islamic architecture, and you will have time to explore its many highlights including the bustling bazaar of Dishan Kala.
Khiva - Bukhara
Today is a long drive through the Kyzyl Kum, or Red Desert, to Bukhara.
Bukhara City Tour
Bukhara is certainly the most atmospheric Silk Road city in Uzbekistan, if not Central Asia. Its medieval streets house mosques, madrassahs, caravanserais and trading domes where you can sense the ghosts of merchants and traders past.
Morning Last Emir′s Palace
This morning travel out of Bukhara to visit the Sitorai Makhi Khosa, the palace of the last Emir, which is an eclectic mix of Russian and Central Asian design. In the afternoon, return to Bukhara to wander its magical maze of streets at your leisure.
Bukhara - Shakhrisabz - Samarkand
Today travel from Bukhara to Samarkand via Shakhrisabz, birthplace of Uzbekistan’s great hero Tamerlane. The summer palace of Ak Serai is an impressive sight, and was originally flanked with 65-metre high towers and had a 40-metre high arch at its entrance. Continue to Samarkand.
Samarkand City Tour
Samarkand, Pearl of the East, is a fabulous city whose very name conjures up the aroma of spices and visions of silk traders. Explore its many sights, including Registan Square, Shah-i-Zinda and the Bibi Khanum mosque.
Samarkand City Tour (2)
Today you will have another full day in Samarkand with your driver and guide to dig deeper into its delights. There will also be time to visit Koni Ghil Silk Paper Centre to observe the traditional methods involved in making silk paper.
Samarkand - Tashkent Airport
This morning is transfer through the cotton fields to Tashkent airport (a journey of 3-4 hours) for your departure flight.
To book now, or for more information about this or other tours, call us on 0208 728 2478 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prices and Availability
Price per person £1220 based on two sharing
- Internal flight Tashkent to Urgench
- Private driver with vehicle
- Local Guides days 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
- All entrance fees
- Medium locally graded accommodation
- 10 nights accommodation Bed and Breakfast basis
- International Flights
- Uzbek Visa (obtained before travel)
- Travel Insurance
- Personal expenses (drinks, tips etc)
- Explore through Central Asia’s largest city, Tashkent
- Discover Khiva, one of the remotest Khanates
- Wander through the atmospheric streets of Bukhara
- Enjoy the impressive remains of Tamerlane’s Palace at Shkhrisabz
- Marvel at the iconic Silk Road monuments of Samarkand
Tours That Might Also Interest You
• Khiva • Ashgabat • Gonur Depe • Bukhara • Samarkand • Turkestan • Taraz • Cholpan Ata • Karakol • Son Kul Lake
Explore along the Silk Road of Central Asia with a fascinating trip including staying amongst local nomads
• Tashkent • Khiva • Konye Urgench • Ashgabat • Merv • Bukhara • Samarkand
Discover the fascinating heart of the Silk Road in Central Asia
• Tashkent • Nukus • Khiva • Bukhara • Samarkand • Ferghana Valley
A wonderful comprehensive tour taking encompassing all the main destinations in Uzbekistan
• Tashkent • Khiva • Bukhara • Shakhrisabz • Samarkand
Excellent introductory tour visiting the key sites in Uzbekistan